The classic Marg with a spicy ginger kick is delicious in cold and hot weather. You can even blend it for an extra-fancy poolside treat!
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) non-alcoholic Tequila Alternative
- 3/4 oz (1 tbs + 1.5 tsp) fresh squeezed lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 oz (2 tbs) Ginger Syrup
- Garnish: candied ginger & lime wheel
Combine ingredients in a shaker, add ice and shake until the shaker is frosty, about 5-10 seconds. Strain into a margarita glass or a rocks glass with fresh ice and garnish with a piece of candied ginger and a lime wheel.
- Add a chili-lime salt rim
- Add ingredients and ice to a blender and blend on high until slushie
- A dehydrated lime wheel can add an extra bit of elegance to this mocktail
CANDIED GINGER GARNISH
- 1-2 large pieces of fresh ginger root
Cut, peel, and slice the ginger into thin pieces using a mandolin. Add water to a 4-quart pot, and bring to a boil. Add the sliced ginger, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the ginger is tender. Transfer the ginger to a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid (important).
Weigh the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar. Return the ginger and 1/4 cup water to the pan and add the sugar. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to recrystallize, approximately 20 minutes.
Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Save the sugar that drops beneath the cooling rack and use to top ginger snaps, sprinkled over ice cream or to sweeten coffee.