Our attempt to savor every last drop of summer.
Originally, a smash contained no citrus, and was more of a Julep. Until the 80’s happened, when Dale DeGroff added lemon—and it was a smash hit. (Pun intended)
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) Ritual Zero Proof Gin Alternative
- ¾ oz (1 tbs + 1.5 tsp) fresh lemon juice
- ¾ oz (1 tbs + 1.5 tsp) simple syrup
- 8-10 basil leaves
- 2-3 dashes of All The Bitter Aromatic Bitters
- basil sprig for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake vigorously for 15-30 seconds. Double strain into a glass, garnish with a basil sprig.
- Top with a little club soda for a longer drink
- Experiment with other herbs or herb syrup
- Muddle fruit slices such as peach or berries (double strain)
- Swap gin for Spiritless Kentucky 74 non-alcoholic bourbon, or Ritual Zero Proof Tequila